Wildebeests Migration Safari Tour
The endless plains of east Africa are the setting for the world’s greatest wildlife spectacle – the 1.5 million animal ungulate (wildebeest) migration. From the vast Serengeti plains to the champagne colored hills of Kenya’s Masai Mara over 1.4 million wildebeest and 200,000 zebra and gazelle, relentlessly tracked by Africa’s great predators, migrate in a clockwise fashion over 1,800 miles each year in search of rain ripened grass.
There is no real beginning or end to a wildebeest’s journey. Its life is an endless pilgrimage, a constant search for food and water. The only beginning is at the moment of birth. An estimated 400,000 wildebeest calves are born during a six-week period early each year – usually between late January and mid-March.
The Migratory Path
December, January, Feburary, March: The Serengeti National Park / Ngorongoro Conservation Area is arguably the most impressive wildlife sanctuary in the world. During the months December through March the seemingly unending plains of the southern Serengeti and the Conservation Area are inhabited by enormous herds of wildebeest and zebra. The great herds graze on rain ripened grass.This is the best time to visit the Serengeti.
In the calving season (late January through mid March when over 80% of the wildebeest give birth over a period of a few weeks) the herds concentrate at the Ndutu and Salei plains (Southern Serengeti / Ngorongoro Conservation Area) attracting the attention of predators like lion, cheetah and hyena.
During this period the migration is best observed from a luxury mobile camp in the Ndutu / Naabi area or from Ndutu Safari Lodge.
April, May: During the months April and May the depleted plains are unable to sustain the endless herds. The migration, sweeping west and north, moves from the short grass plains of the southern Serengeti / Ngorongoro Conservation Area to the long grass plains and woodland of the Serengeti’s western Corridor, almost to Lake Victoria.
This period is during the long rains and is considered off season for wildlife viewing in east Africa as roads are often impassable. Ndutu Safari Lodge, Kusini Camp and the Serengeti Serena Lodge are fine for wildlife viewing during this time. So are campsites in the Ndutu/Naabi area.
June: By the end of May the wildebeest have exhausted the Western Corridor’s best pastures and the herds must move further north. Entering the Lamai Wedge and the Mara Triangle breeding occurs May through June.
This is a transitional period between the rains and the dry season. Faru Faru River Lodge, Sasakwa Hill Lodge, Sabora Plains Tented Camp, Grumeti River Camp, Migration Camp, and Kirawira Camp are good options for viewing the migration at this time. Seronera and Moru area campsites are best.
July, August, September, October: By July the countless herds have amassed along the swollen Mara River – a final barrier from the short sweet grasses of the Masai Mara. Sometimes the crossing place they have chosen is shallow allowing the majority of animals to pass safely. In other areas the waters boil with drowning wildebeest and slashing crocodiles. Please note that the vast majority of travelers do not witness the wildebeest crossing of the Mara as the timing and duration varies widely each year – in years of little rain very few wildebeest cross the Mara River into Kenya.
Between July and October the wildebeest reside in the Mara. We recommend Governor’s Il Moran Tented Camp as the leading safari camp in the Masai Mara. Other tented camps include Governor’s Main Camp, Little Governor’s Camp, and Bataluer Camp. Tanzanian lodges recommended during this time include Faru Faru River Lodge, Sasakwa Hill Lodge, Sabora Plains Tented Camp, Grumeti River Camp, Migration Camp and Kirawira Camp. Kirawira and Moru area campsites are best.
November: The arrival of the short rains call the migration southward. During the short rains of November the wildebeest migration is best viewed from Klein’s Camp. Campsites in the Lobo area are best.
As November ends the migration is making its way back to the southern Serengeti and early in the year they once again give birth. The circle of life is complete.
*Note – the migration is a natural event and the timing varies month by month; year by year.
- Driver/ Guide
- All game drives in safari bus
- Park fees
- Full board accommodation
- Pick up from and to hotel
- Extra lunch on the last day
- Mineral water
- Drinks at the lodge
East Africa Key Destinations
OTHER FEATURED SAFARI TOUR PACKAGES
- 5 Day Kenya Safari to Meru & Samburu
- 3 Days (2 nights) Meru National Park
- Wildebeests Migration Safari Tour
- 10 Days Kenya Bird Watching Safari from Nairobi
- Maasai Cultural Tour
- 16 Days (15 Nights) Kenya Tanzania safaris-Masai mara, Serengeti & Ngorongoro Safari
- 7 Days (6 Nights ) Mount Kilimanjaro Climbing Machame Route Tanzania
- 7 DAYS LAKE MANYARA /SERENGETI/ NGORONGORO/ TARANGIRE SAFARI FROM ARUSHA
- 6 Days (5 Nights) Aberdare – Kigio Wildlife Conservancy – Masai Mara Safari Holiday Package
- 6 Day Tsavo /Amboseli /Nakuru /Naivasha /Maasai Mara Safari from Nairobi
- 6 Days Samburu /Abedares /Baringo / Nakuru Safari from Nairobi
- 6 Days Amboseli / Masai Mara /Nakuru Safari from Nairobi
- 6 Days Amboseli/ Masai mara/ Nakuru/Baringo/Bogoria Safari Tour
- 5 Days Tarangire/ Manyara/ Serengeti/Ngorongoro Safari Tour from Arusha
- 5 Days (4 Nights) Aberdare & Lake Nakuru from Nairobi
- 5 Days Mt Kenya Climbing Adventure Trip Sirimon route
- 4 Days (3 Nights) Masai Mara & Amboseli Safari from Nairobi
- 4 Days (3 Nights) Amboseli National Park – Tsavo National Park from Nairobi
- 4 Days (3 Nights) Mt. Kenya Narumoru Route
- 4 Days (3 Nights) Aberdare / Samburu Game Reserve from Nairobi
- 4 Days (3 Nights) Masai Mara – Nakuru National Park Safari
- 3 Days (2 Nights) Samburu Game Reserve Safari
- 3 Days (2 Nights) Masai Mara Safari Tour from Nairobi
- 3 Days Tsavo East & Amboseli Safari Tour from Nairobi
- 2 Days Tsavo East/West Mzima Springs
- 2 Days Tsavo East Safari Tour from Galu Beach
- 1 Day Tsavo East Day Trip from Diani Beach
- 14 Days Kenya & Tanzania Safari Holiday Package
- 12 Days (11 Nights) Kenya & Tanzania safari
- 11 Days Kenya & Tanzania Safari Holiday Package
- 9 Days Kenya & Tanzania Safari Tour from Nairobi
- 6 Days Mt Kilimanjaro Climbing Safari Umbwe Route
- 6 Days Mt Kilimanjaro Climbing Safari – Rongai Route
- 6 Days Mt Kilimanjaro Climbing Trip Marangu Route
- 6 Days Kilimanjaro climbing Adventure Trip – Machame route
- 4 Days Amboseli and Masai Mara Air Flight Safaris
- 4 Days Masai Mara Air Safari from Diani / Mombasa
- 3 Days Masai Mara Air Flight Safari from Diani / Mombasa
- 2 Days Masai Mara Air Safari from Mombasa
- 6 Days Tanzania Adventure Safari
- 5 Days Lake Manyara, Serengeti, Ngorongoro – Tanzania Safari
- 4 Days Lake Manyara, Ngorongoro and Tarangire Safari Tour from Arusha
- 4 Days Ngorongoro and Serengeti Safari Tour – Tanzania
- (10 Days) Kenya Adventure Safari Tour from Nairobi
- 7 Days Kenya Great Safari from Mombasa
- 5 Days Big Game Safari Tour from Mombasa/Diani Beach
- 6 Days Kenya Big 5 Safari Tour from Nairobi
- 5 Days Kenya Honeymoon Safari from Diani Beach
- 9 Days Kenya Safari Tour from Nairobi
- 5 Days Bravo Safari-Masai Mara & Lake Nakuru National Parks
- 8 Days Kenya Honeymoon Safari from Nairobi
- 1 Day Dolphin Snorkelling Trip to Wasini Kisite
- 1 Day Shimba Hills Excursion from Mombasa
- 1 Day Mombasa City Tour Excursion
- 8 Days Jungle Safari – Tsavo East / West Lake Nakuru, Masai Mara, Lake Naivasha
- 7 Days Kibo Safari – Tsavo East/West, Amboseli, Lake Naivasha Masai Mara Lake Nakuru
- 5 Days Amboseli, Lake Nakuru and Masai Mara Safari tour from Nairobi Kenya
- 4 DAYS TSAVO EAST & AMBOSELI SAFARI TOUR FROM MOMBASA